Join us as we read Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Authorized English translation by John Clarke; Third Edition.
See below for weekly reading focus, notes & updates.
Thérèse died when she was 24, after having lived as a cloistered Carmelite for less than ten years. She never went on missions, never founded a religious order, never performed great works. Her only book was her memoir called “Story of a Soul.”
She is one of thirty-six Doctors of the Church.
“Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love.”
Story of a Soul — Weekly reading focus, notes and updates will be posted here:
- July 19th: Team Notes: ‘Prologue’ and Chapter 1 (~25 pages).
- July 26th: Team Notes: ‘Epilogue’ and Chapter 2 (~27 pages).
- Aug. 2nd: Team Notes: Chapters 3 & 4 (~38 pages).
- Aug. 9th: Team Notes: Chapters 5 & 6 (~45 pages).
- Aug. 16th: Team Notes: Chapters 7 & 8 (~31 pages).
- Aug. 23rd: Session Six reading: Chapters 9 & 10 (~39 pages).
- Small group discussion: Fridays, starting 7/19, 9:30 – 11:00 am; Meehan Conference Room (adjacent to Gathering Room where Hospitality is held).
- Follow Remotely: info available weekly in church and on this page.
- Register (helps us to prepare materials for distribution at meetings & in church): email@example.com Rectory: (610) 525-3100.
- Should we purchase the book for you? Let us know as soon as possible – $11.50 (cash or check payable to St John Neumann Church, memo: Book Club). A few books have been pre-ordered and are available at the Rectory. Stop by!